Monday, August 8, 2011

Recipe: Veggie Stir Fry

     Happy Meatless Monday everyone! Here is a great dinner idea for a Monday or any other day you want to go meatless! I find that the greater variety of veggies you add, the less you will feel like you are missing meat. And if you absolutely cannot go without it, try adding a meat substitute such as tempeh, tofu, or veggie sausage. (More on meat substitutes in the future!)

Recipe:     

     Start with the rice! When using long grain brown rice, not instant rice, it will take the longest to cook, so its best to put the rice on first and then do the veggie prep. Long grain brown rice has more protein, iron, thiamin, and niacin than brown instant rice. It has more fiber than white instant rice.

    Follow the directions on the back of the package of rice. I made enough for dinner and to take leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Since I wanted to make two servings, I used 1/2 cup dry rice and 1 cup water; stirred it up in a small kettle, and let it simmer while I was chopping and stir frying the veggies. The rice fluffs up with cooking so 1/2 dry turns into over a cup when cooked!

     For the stir fry itself, I usually use whatever type of veggies I have around. This week I got quite a variety in my CSA and I used some I bought at the grocery store too. 

     Today for the stir fry I used: 
  • broccoli 
  • mushrooms 
  • garlic 
  • sweet potato
  • orange bell pepper
  • carrots 
  • green bell pepper
  • purple basil
  • lime for garnish!

Raw ingredients

     I heated some canola oil in a frying pan and once it was nice and hot I added all the ingredients except the garlic, basil and lime. I like to use canola oil because it has a higher percentage of mono-unsaturated fats, which can help improve cholesterol levels! But don't take this as an invitation to go crazy, only use as much as necessary! As it was stir frying, I added some red pepper flakes (spicy!) and a Thai seasoning blend that I bought from Whole Foods. Once the veggies were nice and tender, I added the basil and garlic. Before I took the veggies off the heat I added the stir fry sauce and stirred it to coat everything. You don't need a lot of sauce, a little goes a long way! Last, I squeezed a little bit of fresh lime over the top.

Stir fryin'

     By the time the veggies were all done, the rice was ready too! Right away I put half of the food in a container for my lunch tomorrow. That way I wasn't tempted to eat more than I should! The rest I served up on my plate and enjoyed, guilt free!

Dinner is served!

     Yum! This is just one of the many ways to enjoyed a meat free meal! Veggies have lots of fiber so the bulk helps you feel full. Eating slowly, enjoying each bite, and listening to your body's fullness cues help make sure you are not stuffing yourself. Nobody wants to feel full and bloated hours after eating a meal! 

Enjoy!

For more information on mono-unsaturated fats please visit: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat/NU00262

Cheers, 
Brittney

No comments:

Post a Comment