Friday, January 6, 2012

Recipe: Re-fried Bean Tostadas with Tomatillo Salsa!

    A fairly simple little dish I concocted using some traditional Mexican ingredients. I am absolutely in love with Mexican food and am always trying out new recipes at home! This recipe is also meatless of course, and includes a variety of vegetables to provide lots of nutrients!

    First of all, I made the tomatillo salsa, which I adapted from my all-time favorite cookbook: Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison. Tomatillos can be found at many grocery stores near the fresh peppers. If you cannot find them there, Whole Foods or other specialty stores usually has them. This recipe is sooooo easy!

Tomatillo Salsa Recipe:
5 tomatillos 
1 small red onion
1 jalapeno
1 clove garlic
cilantro, to taste
dash of salt

    First, boil the tomatillos for about 10 minutes until they turn dull green.


     I used this tip that I just learned to make sure the tomatillos were evenly cooked in the boiling water. Weigh them down with a plate so part of them is not sticking out of the water! Brilliant! (Make sure your plate is heat resistant, and be careful when you remove it because it will be hot! I used tongs to remove the plate.)


    While they are boiling,  roughly chop the onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and garlic.


      Put it all in the food processor until smooth. And voila! The salsa will keep in the fridge for about a week!


    I refrigerated the salsa for about an hour and then assembled the tostadas. You can add whatever you like to your tostadas. This can be a fun recipe to get kids involved in the kitchen. Letting the kids assemble their own tostadas is a good way to encourage them to try new veggies!

My Tostadas:
Crunchy tostada shell
Vegetarian re-fried beans
frozen corn kernels
chopped red onion
crumbly Mexican queso
cilantro
sliced avocados
tomatillo salsa

     I added the beans, corn, onion, and cheese and then baked in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes to heat the beans and warm the cheese. Then I added the rest of the ingredients. Yum!


      I hope you enjoy this recipe! It is very easy and can be adapted to include your favorite ingredients! Enjoy!

Cheers,
Brittney

1 comment: